Entertainment

Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of the Cranberries, dies aged 46

Dolores O’Riordan, the lead singer with the multi-platinum band the Cranberries, has died aged 46.


The news was confirmed by her publicist in a statement, but no cause of death has yet been announced. O’Riordan, who had to cancel a tour with a reunited Cranberries in 2017 because of a back problem, had been in London for a recording session.

The statement described the death as sudden, and added: “Family members are devastated to hear the breaking news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

A Metropolitan police statement also confirmed the news, and that O’Riordan’s body was found at a Park Lane hotel. “At this early stage the death is being treated as unexplained,” the statement read.

A spokeswoman for the London Hilton on Park Lane said: “It is with deep regret that we can confirm a guest sadly passed away at the hotel on Monday 15 January. We offer our sincere condolences to their family at this difficult time.”

Irish president Michael D Higgins said he learned of the news with “great sadness”, adding: “To all those who follow and support Irish music, Irish musicians and the performing arts, her death will be a big loss.”

Musicians have started to pay tribute, including Irish songwriter Hozier, who said he was “shocked and saddened”, and that O’Riordan’s voice “threw into question what a voice could sound like in that context of rock. I’d never heard somebody use their instrument in that way.”

Irish rockers Kodaline said they were “absolutely shocked” by the news, and pop singer Maggie Rogers said: “Dolores O’Riordan’s voice helped me understand my place in the world.” Jim Corr of Irish pop group the Corrs passed his “deepest sympathies” to O’Riordan’s family.

Duran Duran, whose tour manager Don Burton was married to O’Riordan for more than 20 years before their divorce in 2014, said they were “crushed” by the news. O’Riordan and Burton had three children together: Taylor Baxter, Molly Leigh and Dakota Rain.


O’Riordan, born in Limerick in 1971, joined the Cranberries – then called the Cranberry Saw Us – in 1990, and performed with them until 2003 when they took a hiatus. Driven by O’Riordan’s heartfelt vocals and her unmistakeable west Irish accent, they became hugely successful on both sides of the Atlantic.

Their hits began with the lilting, keeningly romantic Linger, which reached the Top 10 in the US and Ireland, and No 14 in the UK. It was described by O’Riordan in the Guardian last year as being inspired by “being dumped, publicly, at the disco. Everything’s so dramatic when you’re 17, so I poured it into the song.”

They built on its success, and that of their album Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?, with their next album, 1994’s No Need to Argue. The lead single Zombie showed a new side to the band and to O’Riordan’s voice – a heavy, tortured, anthemic song filled with the violence of the Troubles, it was written in the wake of a 1993 IRA bombing in Warrington that killed three-year-old Jonathan Ball and 12-year-old Tim Parry.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
No Need to Argue sold 17m copies, including 7m in the US, and cemented them as one of the biggest alternative acts of the 1990s – their overall album sales topped 40m. The Cranberries released three more albums before taking a break in 2003, allowing O’Riordan to record two solo albums. The band reformed in 2009, initially just to perform live, but new material was eventually released on two subsequent albums, including 2017’s Something Else.

The band’s 2017 European tour was curtailed due to O’Riordan suffering from a back problem; their US dates were then also cancelled on the advice of O’Riordan’s doctors. In a statement after the cancellations the band said they were “very disappointed” and added: “The outpouring of support the Cranberries have received from fans and followers during the past several months is greatly appreciated.”

WATCH: Inside the world and technology of Netflix's 'Altered Carbon'

ALTERED CARBON.' Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman) lives again after being put on ice after his death. Photo courtesy of Netflix

MANILA, Philippines – Itching to get your binge list for 2018 started? Keep an eye out for Altered Carbon, a new sci-fi show that set to air on Netflix in February.

Altered Carbon was based on Richard K. Morgan's novel of the same name, and as showrunner Laeta Kalogridis and the show's stars explain in the video above, explores a world where a person's identity is kept in a "stack."

It's in this world that a rebel soldier named Takeshi Kovacs (Joel Kinnaman) is awoken, 250 years after his capture, in another person's body, to solve a murder.

Altered Carbon will be on Netflix on February 2, 2018.

What's on your binge list so far? Share with us down in the comments! – Rappler.com

 

Watch the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn__F60dd6s

WATCH | Gracenote collaboration with Chito Miranda an instant hit

Gracenote and Chito Miranda. (Photo of Chito by Yummie Dingding/InterAksyon)
Once identified with a louder alternative sound that drew comparisons with the American band Paramore, Gracenote has since evolved into a progressive outfit that is more in tune with electro pop rock.

With three successful releases (“Gracenote” EP, “First Movement” and “Transparent”), Gracenote is now considered a staple in the local indie music scene.

Not surprisingly, they were selected as one of the featured artists in the maiden season of “Coke Studio Philippines.” Their collaboration with hip hop superstar Abra, “Stargazer,” as well as their cover of his thought-provoking hit “Ilusyon,” counts as among the most well-received highlights of the series.

Now the band composed of Eunice Jorge on Vocals, Keyboards, Violin, and Guitars, Jazz Jorge on Bass, EJ Pichay on Drums and Tatsi Jamnague on guitars is making beautiful music with another OPM icon. This time, they are partnering with no less than Parokya ni Edgar’s Chito Miranda in the lovely pop ditty, “Bakit Ganyan Ka?”

The engaging bouncy acoustic tune was an instant LSS (last song syndrome) hit with fans. Its video reached 800,000 views in less than 24 hours after its initial release. The song was also the most talked about collaboration online, and has garnered 28,000 shares on Facebook.

“The idea was a combination of the bands’ styles, one which is very sincere, then we thought of further adding a special flavor which was the sound of the rondalla that is not often used in songs today,” Eunice noted.

Now a popular radio hit, the song written by Eunice and arranged by Gracenote, Chito, and the band’s manager, Darwin Hernandez, is also a showcase of Gracenote’s versatility as they refused to be confined to any limiting music genre.

“Bakit Ganyan Ka?” is now available for streaming and download at Spotify. Their latest album “Transparent,” which recently won the “Best Cover Art” at the 30th Annual Awit Awards, is distributed by Warner Music Philippines and is also available on Spotify, iTunes and Apple Music.

Watch the music video of “Bakit Ganyan Ka?” here: https://youtu.be/pbH_fgmWRmA

‘The Last Jedi’ opens with $220M, 2nd best weekend all-time

 

This image released by Lucasfilm shows Daisy Ridley as Rey in ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi.’ The latest Star Wars installment is off to a death star-sized start at the box office. Disney says Friday, Dec. 15, 2017, that eighth installment in the space franchise has earned an estimated $45 million from Thursday night showings. AP

NEW YORK, United States — “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” will happily settle for second.

Rian Johnson’s second installment in the third “Star Wars” trilogy rocketed to a debut of $220 million at the North American box office, according to studio estimates Sunday. That gives “The Last Jedi” the second-best opening ever, slotting in behind only its predecessor, “The Force Awakens.”

The Disney blockbuster became just the fourth film to open above $200 million domestically. Aside from “The Force Awakens” ($248.8 million), the others are “The Avengers” ($207.4 million) and “Jurassic World” ($208.8 million). Accounting for inflation, the debut of 2012’s “The Avengers” would roughly tie with “The Last Jedi.”

“The Last Jedi” is off to a similar start overseas, too, with $230 million in international ticket sales, said Disney. That brings its three-day global haul to $450 million.

The opening also gave the Walt Disney Co. the opportunity to flex its muscles on the heels of the deal announced Thursday for it to purchase 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion. As part of the deal, Disney will take control of 20th Century Fox, one of Hollywood’s six major studios.

“The weekend that we’re in is a byproduct of the foresight and vision from our CEO Bob Iger to bring Lucasfilm into the fold,” said Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis, alluding to Disney’s 2012 purchase of Lucasfilm. “So as we think about the possibility of other things being added, you can’t help but be excited about the possibilities.”

Fox, as it happens, was the only studio to open another new wide-release film against “The Last Jedi.” Its family film, “Ferdinand,” was essentially stampeded by “The Last Jedi,” grossing $13.3 million. “Ferdinand” and other upcoming holiday season releases will look for more room in the coming weeks, once the “Star Wars” tsunami has waned.

While Abrams’ reboot capitalized on a decade’s hiatus for “Star Wars,” Johnson’s sequel didn’t have the same benefit of freshness. It follows not only “The Force Awakens” (which ultimately grossed $2.1 billion) but last year’s spinoff, “Rogue One.” That release opened with $155.1 million, and grossed in total little more than $1 billion globally.

Johnson, who wrote and directed, instead aimed to distinguish “The Last Jedi” by introducing some new tones to George Lucas’ space opera. “The Last Jedi” is more irreverent than previous chapters. And it has drawn plaudits for its diverse cast, including Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

“The results speak to the power of representation,” said Hollis. “The film really reflects our world and beyond. It becomes something people can see themselves in, whether they see themselves in Rey or Finn or Poe or Rose or Captain Phasma. They can relate to all those characters.”

Johnson’s approach has seemed to work. Critics gave Johnson’s film a 93 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences endorsed it, too, with an A CinemaScore, though not all fans are on board with Johnson’s innovations. As of Sunday, “The Last Jedi” has scored a dismal 56 percent rating from some 95,000 Rotten Tomato users.

Yet the haul for “The Last Jedi” dwarfed most all releases in the two years since “The Force Awakens.” By comparison, it has in three days already bested the five-week gross of Warner Bros.’ “Justice League” ($219.5 million).

“Seeing a movie like this in the movie theater, getting the collective goose bumps and having the OMG-moments, that’s something you cannot replicate at home on the small screen,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore. “Rian Johnson has made a movie that showcases the movie theater experience in a truly brilliant way.”

Signaling its faith in Johnson’s course for “Star Wars,” Lucasfilm earlier announced that Johnson will develop the next trilogy for the franchise, the first of which he’ll write and direct. Abrams is set to return to direct Episode IX after he was brought in to replace Colin Trevorrow. A separate spinoff centered on a young Han Solo is due out next summer.

The massive debut for “The Last Jedi” singlehandedly brightens what has been a disappointing year for Hollywood. The weekend was far and away the highest grossing of the year. According to comScore, the industry was down about 3.9 percent from last year before this weekend. Now it’s 2.9 percent off the 2016 pace. Dergarabedian estimates the year will end about 2 percent down with a little over $11 billion in ticket sales.

“The Last Jedi” may be playing the role of savior at the box office, but the news isn’t all rosy for exhibitors. Given the demand, Disney put more onerous demands on some theater owners for “The Last Jedi,” including a higher percentage — 65 percent — of ticket sales. And Disney’s acquisition of Fox is seen by analysts as a bid, in part, to strengthen the studio’s in-development streaming platform, set to debut in 2019.

Disney and Fox combined for five of the top 10 movies on the weekend and together accounted for approximately 90 percent of ticket sales.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to comScore. Where available, the latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday. /cbb

“The Last Jedi,” $220 million ($230 million international).
“Ferdinand,” $13.3 million ($6.2 million international).
“Coco,” $10 million ($27.4 million international).
“Wonder,” $5.4 million ($9.4 million international).
“Justice League,” $4.2 million ($5.3 million international).
“Daddy’s Home 2,” $3.8 million ($5.8 million international).
“Thor: Ragnarok,” $3 million ($1.1 million international).
“The Disaster Artist,” $2.6 million.
“Murder on the Orient Express,” $2.5 million ($10.8 million international).
“Lady Bird,” $2.1 million.
___

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at international theaters (excluding the U.S. and Canada), according to comScore:

“The Last Jedi,” $230 million.
“Youth,” $44 million.
“The Thousand Faces of Dunjia,” $27.9 million.
“Coco,” $27.4 million.
“Steel Rain,” $11.6 million.
“Murder on the Orient Express,” $10.8 million.
“Paddington 2,” $9.7 million.
“Wonder,” $9.4 million.
“Ferdinand,” $6.2 million.
“Daddy’s Home 2,” $5.8 million.

 

Life-size ‘Star Wars’ spaceships unveiled in Manila, Cebu

The spaceship, The Tie Silencer, is the angular fighter of the film’s chief villain, Kylo Ren. The replica will be on display until January 8. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo

MANILA, Philippines — Celebrities like TV hosts RJ Ledesma, Ariella Arida and Daphne Osena-Paez flocked in the unveiling of a life-size “Star Wars” spaceship replica in SM Mall of Asia, in time for the IMAX opening of Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” on Wednesday night.

The spaceship, The Tie Silencer, is the angular fighter of the film’s chief villain, Kylo Ren. The replica will be on display until January 8.

X
 

During the unveiling, Storm Troopers, Jedi and Rebel Pilots from the 501st Legion made a special appearance. The legion is an exclusive club of “Star Wars” fans wherein precise measurements for costumes are required to acquire membership.

Another realistic spaceship copy from the movie, The X-Wing, has been unraveled in SM Seaside City Cebu last December 1. The X-Wing is the Rebel Alliance’s Starfighter designed for long missions and intense battles. The life-size installation will be on display until January 21.

To enhance the “Star Wars” experience, the film’s last episode has been digitally re-mastered in IMAX, which boasts of vivid three-dimensional colors and effects. A mobile application, which can be downloaded for free from Android Google Play, can be used for online booking.  

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" is written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman. J.J. Abrams, Tom Karnowski and Jason McGatlin are the executive producers. It is now showing in Philippine cinemas and is distributed by the Walt Disney Company (Philippines).

Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

The film stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro.

Ariella Arida with Storm Troopers and Kylo Ren of the 501st Legion, with the The Tie Silencer spaceship at the background. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
Daphne and her daughters with Storm Troopers and Kylo Ren of the 501st Legion. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
The Jedis, Kylo Ren, and Storm Troopers of the 501st Legion. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
Kylo Ren and First Order members in front of the unveiled Tie Silencer fighter. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
501st Legion members in front of the unveiled Tie Silencer fighter. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
Jedi costumes and memorabilia were also on display. Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo
Life-size Tie SIlencer replica.  Philstar.com/Deni Rose M. Afinidad-Bernardo

 

Artists honor first responders to Las Vegas mass shooting

LAS VEGAS -- Consul General Adelio Angelito S. Cruz graced the opening of the Art & Photo Exhibit on November 5, at the Asian Culture Alliance in Las Vegas, Nevada. The event was organized by The International Artist Group of Nevada (TIAGON), honoring the first responders to the October 1, deadly mass shooting incident in Las Vegas.

The Art & Photo Exhibit was spearheaded by Filipino-American Photographer Robert Torres of TIAGON and featured the works of artists/photographers Ben Torres, Nikon Torres, Christine Small, Bill Bon, Antonio Tanada, Bones Reyes, and Cesar Angeles.

The Asian Culture Alliance serves as a central location for social interaction of members who take advantage of the wide range of educational classes, as well as, social events, activities and services provided by ACA at no cost to participants. In addition to these events, ACA reaches out to the general public to share Asian culture by organizing and sponsoring various shows and festivals.

Screen Shot 2017 12 10 at 3.04.55 AM

Subscribe to this RSS feed

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time