Items filtered by date: Monday, 23 October 2017

Curry fined $50,000 for tossing mouthpiece

Oct 21, 2017; Memphis, TN, USA; Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) argues with referee Scott Wall (31) during the second half against the Memphis Grizzlies at FedExForum. Memphis defeated Golden State 111-101. Mandatory Credit: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports
Former two-time NBA MVP and Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry has been fined $50,000 by the league for throwing his mouthpiece in the direction of a referee during Saturday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies, the NBA announced Monday afternoon.

Curry threw his mouthpiece in the direction of a referee in response to a no-call on drive with 43.6 seconds remaining in an eventual 111-101 loss for the Warriors.

Curry and teammate Kevin Durant were both ejected from the game after arguing with officials about the incident. Durant was not fined.

“In the grand scheme of things, it’s Game 3, we were playing terrible, I was frustrated because I was fouling and I thought I got fouled on the last play. The reaction was definitely a little over the top,” Curry said, according to ESPN.

Golden State forward Andrew Iguodala was also fined $15,000 by the NBA for verbally abusing an official during the incident.

It is the second instance Curry has been fined by the NBA for throwing his mouthpiece. He was fined $25,000 for throwing his mouthpiece into the crowd and hitting a fan in Game 6 of the 2016 NBA Finals.

Curry is averaging 29.0 points, 5.0 assists and 4.7 rebounds this season.

  • Published in Sports
Read more...

Lim chosen Comelec OIC by fellow commissioners

Election commissioner Christian Robert Lim (photo from Comelec website)
MANILA, Philippines — (UPDATE – 1:17 p.m.) Commissioner Christian Robert Lim is the officer-in-charge of the Commission on Elections.

Lim was unanimously chosen on Tuesday, October 24, by his fellow election commissioners en banc.

He will head the poll body until President Rodrigo Duterte can choose a replacement for former Comelec chairman Andres Bautista, who stepped down the day before after being informed his offer to resign had been accepted “effective immediately.”

Lim had also served as Comelec OIC following the retirement of former chairman Sixto Brillantes.

Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said Bautista’s departure would have no effect on the agency’s operations.

He added that whoever Duterte names chairman of the poll body will serve the remainder of Bautista’s term until February 2022.

Jimenez said Lim immediately buckled down to work, outlining his plans for the immediate future.

In Malacañag, presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella confirmed that Duterte has not yet decided on a replacement for Bautista, who was impeached by the House of Representatives even after he offered to quit his post at the end of the year.

Bautista has been accused of amassing hidden wealth by his estranged wife Patricia.

Read more...

PH formally receives donated Chinese heavy equipment

Public Works Sec. Mark Villar formally receives the donated heavy equipment from Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua. (handout photo)
China formally handed over on Tuesday, October 24, brand new heavy equipment intended for use in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of Marawi City.

In handover ceremonies at the Department of Public Workers and Highways, Secretary Mark Villar received from Chinese Ambassador Zhao Jianhua the eight units ach of excavators, wheel loaders, dump trucks, and cement mixers; and five units each of compactors, track type tractors, and bulldozers.

The donation also included one container van.

“On behalf of the Philippine government, we would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude to the People’s Republic of China for these brand new heavy equipment that are essential as we aim for the fast recovery of Marawi City,” Villar was quoted in a statement as telling Zhao.

“The handover ceremony today is another hallmark of the strong levels of support, collaboration, and cooperation between China and the Philippines,” he added.

DPWH Region 10 director Virgilio C. Eduarte said the first batch of Chinese equipment arrived in Iligan City on October 9.

The DPWH as the lead agency of the Task Force Bangon Marawi Reconstruction Sub-Committee and is also a member of the Housing Sub-committee, specifically responsible for the site development of transitory shelters.

Read more...

Palace: EU report on worsening PH rights situation under Duterte a ‘rehash’ of poll losers’ gripes

File photo of President Rodrigo Duterte
MANILA, Philippines — Saying it was nothing new and sounded like the old gripes of last year’s poll losers, Malacañang on Tuesday downplayed the European Union’s report stating that the human rights situation in the Philippines had “considerably worsened as a consequence” of President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs campaign.

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said “many” of the “alleged findings” in the EU’s recently released 2016 Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World “are a rehash of criticisms aired by the political party whose candidate lost to the President.”

“Again, for the public’s continuing awareness, we reiterate that the Philippines is investigating allegations of drug-related killings, extrajudicial deaths, and media violence to ensure the accountability of perpetrators,” Abella added.

In the report, the EU noted that while “some trends and circumstances detrimental to human rights, such as extrajudicial killings and the climate of impunity were already present under previous administrations,” the last six months of last year “was marked with serious deterioration in respect for the right to life, due process and the rule of law.”

It cited the war on drug’s killing of 6,000 Filipinos and the arrest of 40,000 others from July to mid-December of 2016 based on data from Philippine National Police as reported in the media, with one-third of the deaths occurring in police operations.

Moreover, the union said Duterte’s “statements and actions have seemingly encouraged the police to take an aggressive approach in dealing with drug users and pushers, and have — according to human rights advocates — also encouraged vigilante style extrajudicial killings.”

But Abella on Tuesday said “congressional hearings were convened to look into these allegations and have proved that the State does not sanction wanton and unjustified killings.”

“Impunity does not have a place in this administration,” he added.

Read more...

21 heads of state – so far – confirmed attendance at ASEAN summit: NOC head

Ambassador Marciano Paynor, head of the National Organizing Committee for the country's ASEAN hosting, briefs reporters at the Palace. PTV 4 IMAGE GRAB
MANILA – The secretary general of the United Nations will join 20 heads of state and leaders of government at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit that the Philippines will host in November, the head of the National Organizing Committee said Tuesday.

Following tradition, leaders of the 10 ASEAN member states will be in attendance at this year’s summit – significant because it is the regional bloc’s 50th anniversary – and will be joined by eight members of the East Asia Summit, according to the NOC head, Ambassador Marciano Paynor Jr..

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has confirmed attendance, Paynor said at a Malacañang press briefing. “We will have a total of 21 heads of state, heads of government, plus the Secretary General of the United Nations. Thus far, we have not had any indication of anyone not coming,” he said.

Paynor said that leaders of ASEAN-EU and ASEAN-Canada, which both mark their 40th Anniversary of collaboration with ASEAN, will also fly in to Manila in November.

“So that’s 10 ASEAN member-states, eight members of the East Asia Summit, and two others who are celebrating the 40th Anniversary of ASEAN collaboration and that is ASEAN-EU and ASEAN-Canada. So both the President of the economic community, plus the Premier — Prime Minister [Justin Trudeau] of Canada are also expected to arrive here,” he explained.

Only Timor Leste, whose membership in ASEAN remains pending, will send a representative as guest.

Paynor said he is confident that “pretty much everything is set” for the Summit-related events, given the preparations thus far. At least 282 meetings have been planned for the ASEAN hosting.

“Most of all, our security elements are really on their toes because that is the one area that we cannot really prepare for 100 percent. So we keep on trying,” he said.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time