Displaying items by tag: Marawi

2 kilos of shabu found in ex-Marawi mayor’s house – police

By Jeff Caparas, News5 | Pat Ortiz, InterAksyon


Photo:The drugs police said was found in the house of former Marawi mayor Omar Solitario Ali. (image from News5 video)

MARAWI CITY, Philippines — Police claimed to have found two kilos of crystal meth or shabu in the house of a former mayor of Marawi City who they claimed is also a supporter of the Maute group, proof, they said, that the extremist group is linked to the illegal drug trade.

Officials also said they have good reason to believe one of the brothers who founded the extremist group, Omar Khayyam Maute, has been killed in combat.

Meanwhile, in Cagayan de Oro, the 4th Infantry Division has formed “Task Force Oro” to guard against attempts by the extremists to infiltrate the northern Mindanao city.

Chief Inspector William Santos of the police’s Drug Enforcement Group said they also found drug paraphernalia inside the home of former mayor Omar Solitario Ali, indication the extremist gunmen use drugs as they continue to battle government forces in Marawi.

Ali’s brother Fahad, also a former mayor of the city, was arrested earlier and charged with rebellion for alleged ties to the extremists. The brothers are among more than 100 persons ordered arrested under an order issued by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, the martial law administrator in Mindanao.

For his part, Lieutenant Colonel Jo-Ar Herrera, spokesman of Joint Task Force Marawi, said “there is a strong indication” Omar Maute was “killed in a firefight two weeks ago,” around the same time word first circulated he was dead.

However, the other Maute brother, Abdullah, and Abu Sayyaf commander Isnilon Hapilon, who authorities claim has been named “emir” by the Islamic State, are likely still alive.

Still, with the death toll nearing 400, more than half of these extremists, including at least eight foreign fighters, the military says it is making progress, pointing to 85 buildings that had been cleared in the last 48 hours by soldiers who also recovered firearms and communications equipment.

In Cagayan de Oro, Captain Rey Escalera said Colonel Royland Orquia, deputy commander of the 403rd Infantry Brigade, will head the battalion-size Task Force Oro. .

“If the Martial Law-Special Action Group gathers intelligence, if they have information about something, our job is to be there in the area and respond to the call,” Escalera, the task force’s operations officer, explained their mission.

Aside from combat troops, the task force also includes personnel from the Explosive and Ordinance Division and the Army’s K9 company, among others.

The task force will also assist police man checkpoints and monitor those traveling in and out of the city.

Read more...

Gov’t forces close in on terrorists

By: Frinston Lim, Jeoffrey Maitem - @inquirerdotnetPhilippine Daily Inquirer /

Photo: AP

 

 

MARAWI CITY—Government troops on Thursday advanced toward the center of Marawi, in an operation aimed at dislodging local terrorists who had seized the city to establish an enclave in the Philippines of the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group in Iraq and Syria.

Lt. Col. Jo-Ar Herrera, spokesperson for the military’s 1st Infantry Division, said government forces had gained control of key bridges in the city after street-to-street fighting in recent days.

He said the security forces were now advancing toward the inner parts of the city where about 150-200 gunmen from the Maute and Abu Sayyaf terrorist groups were holed up in houses and commercial buildings.


Fighting was now confined to 10 percent of the city, or about 8.7 square kilometers, Herrera said.

The battleground constituted four of the city’s 96 barangays, he added.

“We intend to finish the fight as soon as possible,” Herrera told reporters.

The military had stopped using fighter jets and helicopter gunships to avoid injury to civilians trapped in the battle zone, but Herrera said airstrikes could be resumed if the troops on the ground needed air support.

“We have neutralized key enemy positions. [But] our options (airstrikes) are still open,” he said.

About 300-500 civilians are believed to be trapped in houses and buildings in the battle zone and the military, according to Herrera, is doing its best to rescue them.

“We’re still receiving distress calls. The challenge now is [how] long their cell-phone batteries [last]. We’re trying to locate them,” he said.

Herrera said the military was verifying reports about the presence of 300 armed men in a town outside Marawi.


The reports seemed to suggest some of the terrorists had been able to slip out of Marawi and could open a new front.

The crisis began on May 23 when Maute and Abu Sayyaf gunmen rampaged through Marawi after a failed military attempt to capture Isnilon Hapilon, the Abu Sayyaf commander who had pledged allegiance to IS and on whose head the US government had put a $5-million reward.

More than 200 people have died in the fighting, including 58 soldiers and policemen, and 26 civilians.

The military said on Thursday no soldier had been killed since the June 9 gun battle where 13 Marines died.

On the 24th day of the fighting, the government’s losses stood at 58, said Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, spokesperson for the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

“It remains at that number. We have not have any soldier killed and, knock on wood, we hope there [will] be no more,” Padilla told reporters.

He said Hapilon, who styles himself as the “emir” of IS in Southeast Asia, was believed to be still in Marawi.

There were reports that the leaders of the Maute group, brothers Omarkhayam and Abdulla Maute, had been killed but Padilla said “we cannot say this is confirmed because we have no evidence yet.”

Evacuees

More than 325,000 people have fled the fighting in Marawi, a city of 200,000 people.

Explaining the discrepancy, Defense Undersecretary Recardo Jalad, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said people from areas surrounding Marawi also fled their homes to avoid getting caught in the crossfire.

“And as of [June 15], we have on record 66,738 families composed of 324,406 individuals displaced from Marawi City and the municipality of Marantao in Lanao del Sur,” Jalad said.

“Of this number of displaced people, only about 5 percent are checked in or living, staying inside evacuation centers,” he added.

Jalad said the government had set up 79 evacuation centers in Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur and in Cagayan de Oro City.

“Only about 5 percent are currently staying in the evacuation centers. The rest, the 95 percent, are staying in their relatives, in the houses of their relatives and friends, and we call them home-based IDPs (internally displaced people),” he said.

Jalad said the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) was in charge of managing the evacuation centers, providing for the food and nonfood needs of the evacuees.

The displaced will get P5,000 in financial assistance—P1,000 food allowance and P4,000 for transportation and other needs.

On the other hand, the Department of Health (DOH) was tasked with providing water, health services and sanitation.

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said that as of June 13 the DSWD central office had sent P60,055,000 to its field offices in Central Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Soccsksargen and Caraga.

It also provided P70,701,994 to its response centers and field offices responding to the fighting in Marawi, Abella said.

“The distribution of relief items is [going on] for the basic needs in the evacuation centers as well as for the needs of home-based IDPs,” Jalad said.

He added that the government is planning to set aside an initial P10 billion for the rebuilding of Marawi after the fighting ends.

“But the exact figure will be determined once we conduct the study, the assessment and then formulate the rehab plan,” Jalad said.

Denied entry into Marawi

Two left-leaning party-list representatives reported on Thursday that they were denied entry into Marawi on a humanitarian mission.

Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate and Gabriela Rep. Arlene Brosas, along with former Bayan Muna Rep. Teddy Casiño, were among those who were barred from entering the city as part of the “National Interfaith Humanitarian Mission.”

The delegates were supposed to conduct relief operations and psychosocial services for traumatized residents when they were stopped from entering, according to Bayan Muna.

In a statement, Brosas said Gabriela had coordinated with the military about its plan to distribute relief goods in Marawi but was denied entry when the group got there.

She said the group was forced to bring the relief goods to another destination, an evacuation center in Saguiaran, Lanao del Sur province, where at least 400 families were staying. —WITH REPORTS FROM NIKKO DIZON, PHILIP C. TUBEZA AND DJ YAP

 

Read more...

‘He was a good man who shouldn’t have died too young’

 
 
 
John Romulo Garcia of Bohol is among the 13 soldiers killed in Malawi on Friday. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

SAN MIGUEL, Bohol—Princess Garcia failed to stop her tears from flowing when talking about her brother, John Romulo Garcia, who died on Friday in Marawi City.

John, 28, and a member of Philippine Marine Corps, was among the 13 soldiers who were killed on Friday during the gun-battle with Maute militants in Marawi.

The news of her brother’s death was too painful for 19-year-old Princess.

She said they learned about what happened through Facebook postson Friday night.

They didn’t believe it at first until they received a call from John’s commanding officer.

Many had posted on Facebook that he had died. But we, his family, didn’t know about it. When we learned about it, we were very shocked,” she added.

After confirming his death, John’s parents, Sylvia and Romulo, immediately flew to Metro Manila on Saturday to retrieve their son’s body.

Condrada Relampagos-Caresosa, 76, was sobbing, saying her grandson was a good man who shouldn’t have died too young.

She said John was special to her since he was her first grandson.

Condrada Relampagos-Caresosa and Princess Garcia are waiting for the arrival of the body of Sgt. John Romulo Garcia who was killed in Marawi on Friday. -Leo Udtohan, INQ

Caresosa said she had to comfort her daughter, Sylvia, whose world came crashing down upon learning that her son was gone.

Although the tragedy was painful, Caresosa urged her family to accept God’s will.

Caresosa had already cleaned the Garcia’s house in Barangay Kagawasan, San Miguel, in time for John’s arrival.

Certificates of recognition and awards received by John including his two paintings were displayed in the living room.

Caresosa said they had expected John to come home since March.

But it was postponed because he was deployed to augment the security force in Manila for the Association of Southeast Asian Nation Summit.

His task was to guard the President of Vietnam.

John promised to come home but was instead deployed to Marawi when the fighting broke out on May 23.

The family’s fears came true when John’s Facebook page was filled with condolences from friends and neighbors.

At that time, they didn’t know that John was one of those killed in Marawi on Friday.

They received a confirmation later from John’s superior officer.

John was the eldest among five of his siblings.

He grew up in Bohol and had graduated from Central Visayas State College of Agriculture Forestry and Technology (now Bohol Island State University) before joining the Marines in 2012.

Caresosa said they discouraged John  from joining the Marines, but the passion to serve the country prevailed.

He chose to serve the country. There was nothing we could do to stop him,” she said.

Although it pained them that he was gone too soon, Princess said she was proud of her brother who died serving the country./rga

 

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time