Over the last 2 years since we updated these Comment Policies, we have witnessed an explosion of Comment Section use. This of course is great news.
With all great things over time comes reflection. Specifically, reminders to the procedures as well as possible amendments to the current Comment Policies. We feel the
Please note the following reminders (and/or updates):
- DO NOT post the same comment more than once.
- DO NOT include personal contact information such as phone numbers, home addresses, screen names for instant messaging, or email addresses with the intent of expecting a direct, personal reply.
- DO NOT SUBMIT IN ALL CAPS.
- DO NOT harrass the author, the editor, the admin or the general public to answer your personal inquiry.
- DO NOT submit a comment in a language other than English.
- DO NOT submit an advertisement for yourself or your product with the intent to make a profit.
- DO NOT make inflammatory remarks or threats to anyone. If an argument gets out of control, I will close the thread completely.
Please be short, consice and to the point in your comment. I want to accept every comment that is submitted (you will notice I allow what may seem like many non-sensical, rambling comments) but there are times when it is just too long, even longer than the story you are addressing. If this happens, I will close the post.
- Thank you again for your attention, and continuous Happy Posting.
Philippinenews.com Comment Policy
(UPDATED: 6 May 2004)
Over the past year, the Comment Section has grown to be a popular destination for our dedicated online readership. Lately, I have been receiving complaints about the 'Comment Policies'.
If your submission is not activated IMMEDIATELY, the likely reason is the comment has not yet been received. I comb through each and every comment sent in, which on average is about 45 a day. All comments are screened. If it is compliant with the set guidelines, the comment is then activated by me. We add this human element to ensure the comment section does not lead to chaos.
There maybe a time when I do not receive a submitted comment because of technical issues (ie: database 'hiccup'). This can happen. But in no way is a comment disregarded or thrown out because I do not personally agree with the content. We do follow an ethical, unbiased standard.
If you submit a comment over the weekend, it will most likely be activated that Monday morning. Please keep in mind, we are located in the Pacific Standard Timezone (PST). I am in the office from 8am till 6pm, Monday through Friday.
- Thank you for your attention, and Happy Posting.
In order to maintain a healthy and enjoyable atmosphere here at philippinenews.com, we appreciate it if users kindly co-operate with the following guidelines. These guidelines are in place to ensure that philippinenews.com remains a pleasant and informative site to visit, and to prevent unnecessary conflicts when posting comments.
Should a user have any problems or issues regarding any subject or the acts of any other user, they should refer the matter to the Admin to deal with.
There are three main principal guidelines:
1. Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the comment section is a privilege, not a right.
2. Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
3. Don't dilute the comment area with irrelevant and unnecessary information. Philippinenews.com is a professional, moderated website. It's a place to state your opinions about particular articles.
The Admin of philippinenews.com reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any comment with or without reason or notice. Polite enquiries will be listened to. Any form of harassment will not be tolerated and is cause for disabling the comment from the site.
By submitting your comments, you agree to the following guidelines and policies.
All of the following guidelines have been formulated according to specific issues we have encountered since the re-launch of this site, and wish to prevent in the future, in the interests of maintaining a level of professionalism and respect amongst users on philippinenews.com.
Because philippinenews.com is an open forum community, and in the interests of keeping potentially offensive topics away from the comment area, the Admin of this site do not tolerate posts that contain any of the following subjects or elements:
- Potentially inflammatory discussions or comments regarding social issues - These include, but are not limited to, topics such as racism, sexism, religion, xenophobia or homosexuality.
- Crude, derogatory, inappropriate, or disrespectful remarks aimed at any individual(s) - Offensive or unnecessarily abrasive comments directed at any individual are not tolerated in any form. These include anything from personal vendettas to unnecessarily insulting comments directed at any individual.
- Hate speech - Derogatory, anti-social or inflammatory remarks aimed at any group of people, with the intention to incite a mass response are not only a crime in most countries, but are also totally unacceptable here.
- Any comments made with the sole intention of disruption or to cause distress to any individual(s) - Whether made metaphorically, or otherwise, any personal defamatory remarks directed at any individual(s) are unacceptable.
- Racial slurs - No matter how amusing some people might find them, most users consider jokes, or underhanded comments, directed at any race or culture highly offensive. If you go this route, your comment will not be posted.
- Totally ludicrous subjects - While the actual definition of this one may be debatable, we prefer to keep totally ridiculous subject matter that is totally unrelated to the article topic, away from the comment area as much as possible. A certain level of such matter is tolerated, but if a comment is really of very little substantial merit, the author of the comment will have to accept that it might be removed completely.
- DO NOT POST COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS - Besides being difficult to read, internet protocol suggests the user screaming when typing with all caps. So please, unlock the caps.
- Do not double post - Once the user hits submit, the Admin will receive an email alerting to a new post. Every post will be read and reviewed. Submitting multiple times will not guarantee a faster post.
- Requests for legal consultation will not be posted. - For specific questions to a lawyer columnist, please contact them directly.
- Messages masked as advertisements will be edited, if not deleted entirely - To advertise online or in our print newspaper, please go here.
- Posts with invalid email addresses will not be displayed. The Admin reserves the right to send a reply email to any reader that posts a message. If the email is returned, the post will be automatically deleted.
Posts containing subject matter as listed above will be disabled in all cases, and should the author of such posts persist in posting such matter, that user will be flagged for future postings.
The Admin for philippinenews.com request that all users remain, at all times, respectful and courteous towards all other members in the comment area.
We believe that these guidelines are fair and acceptable, and that all users should respect our reasons for keeping them in place. The Admin is not there to protect users from offensive or unlawful content.
Should a user have any problems or issues regarding any subject on the comment area or the acts of any other user, they are encouraged to contact the Admin who will attend to the matter.
Users are also encouraged to contact the Admin, should they feel that any comments posted in the comment area have violated any of the guidelines stipulated here.
We hope that you enjoy philippinenews.com!