Sports

Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch in Tokyo this December?

MANILA – Filipino world boxing icon Manny Pacquiao in a rematch with American boxing great Floyd Mayweather in December?
Pacquiao’s camp confirmed that the highly anticipated rematch is being planned for December 31 in Tokyo, Philippine Star reported.
Other reports indicated the rematch will be in May 2024.
Their second faceoff, however, will just be an exhibition fight, it was reported.
At press time, it was reported that the Pacquiao has gone back to the gym and started training for the possible fight.
Some reports, however, indicate that the rumored rematch is not final.
“Wala pa,” one of Pacquiao’s lawyers was quoted by Philippine Star as saying.
The lawyer, however, admitted that talks are on regarding the showdown. Philippine Star added.
“Kaunting hitches na lang,” he said.

Pacquiao, who will turn 45 on Dec. 17, and Mayweather, who will turn 47 on Feb. 24, fought in 2015 in Las Vegas and broke all existing records in boxing revenues. Mayweather won that bout on points.

Last month, Pacquiao hinted on something big.

“Abangan niyo na lang ‘yung announcement. Soon, soon,” he said.

Rumors about a Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch has been reported for years now since the two men first fought in 2015 reportedly generating an unprecedented $600 million as 4.6 million people saw it on Pay-Per-View.

 Pacquiao has made serious his plan to fight for the Philippines in the Paris Olympics in 2024.

 The Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) has  formally requested the International Olympic Committee to allow Filipino boxing icon.
POC president Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino said the request is contained in a letter of request to the IOC to process Pacquiao‘s eligibility via the “universality rule.”

“Sumulat na kami sa IOC bago pumunta dito (sa Pilipinas). Request and appeal na iyon na i-consider siya sa universality route,” said Tolentino during a dinner presenting the Asian Games medalists to the Philippine media.

The IOC have made available nine universality slots (five for women and four for men) to eligible national Olympic committees.

Tolentino said that among the arguments he raised to back Pacquiao‘s eligibility is the boxing icon’s star power which will be useful to promote boxing in general.

“‘Yung boxing accolades niya will be a shot in the arm for boxing. Siguradong magiging blockbuster ‘yun,” said the POC executive.

They prefer Pacquiao to go through the universality route since he is no longer eligible for the 19-40 year old age limit in Olympic qualifiers.

Marcus Manalo, Association of Boxing Alliances in the Philippines secretary general, hope that the age limit will be waived in the case of Pacquiao.

Manalo said the limit was put in place to protect the boxer.

“Baka pwedeng i-challenge ang age limit,” he said. “Kasi itong 44-year-old na ito eh much more conditioned sa mga 30-year-old na nagcocompete.”

Manalo said just having someone like Pacquiao in their lineup will definitely boost the confidence of the national boxing team.

“If it gets approved that would be extremely beneficial for us. Presence palang ni Sen. Pacquiao wil be a big boost to the team, bukod pa yan sa medal chances,” he said.